In an attempt to shake our neighbours’ bad habit of dumping their rubbish in our street we have asked for and received permission to set up geveltuinen (“wall gardens”) in the Oudezijds Armsteeg.
The ground for the gardens will be prepared and paid for by the gemeente (city council). The neighbourhood is responsible for purchasing, planting and maintaining the gardens.
The timetable is as follows:
- Monday, February 27: Signs were placed in the alley by the gemeente warning of the planned works.
- Monday March 12: The ground for the gardens will be prepared. Around this time we will be distributing invitations to the Grand Opening.
- Thursday March 15: The gardens will be opened to great fanfare! This is the first following rubbish day.
These are some of the activities that will be taking place during the Grand Opening of the gardens (also known as a koffieochtend, or “coffee morning”), on Thursday March 15:
- The plants will be planted in the prepared gardens. We will be waiting for people to bring out their rubbish so this is the ideal time for the planting.
- We will have coffee, tea, biscuits and conversation to offer our visitors.
- Brenda Posno, our gebiedsbeheerder, and two handhavers will be joining us.
- We will hand out a letter (in Dutch and English) explaining the changes, with a flower bulb attached to it. The bulb can be planted in the new gardens if desired.
- We will be asking for donations to help pay for the gardens.
- We will also have folders/business cards of the eight businesses in the OZ Armsteeg. We want to point out that there are several companies trying to run a business in the OZ Armsteeg, and that the rubbish is unacceptably embarassing.
We will be doing the same thing on Monday March 19. And if we still have the energy, perhaps again on Thursday March 22.
How you can help
- If you have time, then please come and help give out coffee and conversation during the koffieochtenden (March 15, March 19 between 6 and 10 in the morning). Even if you only have half an hour to spare, every little bit helps. And I promise you, it will be surprisingly gezellig! If you don’t have time or the inclination to help, please just drop by and say hello.
- From March 15, we have a Zero Tolerance policy towards rubbish. Please pick up and remove any rubbish that you see in or near the gardens. (If you have access to the OZ Armsteeg binnenterrein then the council will provide us with a temporary container for a couple of months. The Zero Tolerance rubbish can be placed in the container which will be kept on the binnenterrein.)
- Please report all rubbish offenders to the Reiniging (020-551 9555). Try to provide details about where the rubbish came from (adres of the offender).
- The gardens of course need watering and maintenance. Please leave a comment or let me know if you are interested in helping.
- Take pride and pleasure in the gardens! They are for all of us. Together we can make them a success!